Tuesday 20 March 2012

Editing: Color


This is the first two sequences of my film and the editing process for my trailer The Proprietor, I realised the great importance of making my film trailer have excellent continuity, the importance of this is huge so I set out on Final Cut Pro and began experimenting with different co-programs and effects to enable me to have successful editing continuity. After many experimental processes I finally found Colour, a software program which allows me to edit quickly and effectively. As you can see the clip on the left is an edited clip and on the right is the natural lighting used on the day of filming. 


I grabbed the second piece of footage and set out to adjust the clip in order for it to have continuity with my roadside sequence, I began by going through the file bar and into the 'send to' option, and then selected colour. 


 This is the setup of Colour it has many different options available, I chose to edit the 'Primary Out' option this gives me a choice of many different colours, shadows, mid-tones and highlights to alter. Based on the common conventions of Horror and also my film setting I opted to give the clips a warm green tone. So I began the Colour process by lifting the green level as seen in the screenshot.


The luma level controls the light or darkness intensity in the clip and by lowering the luma i get a really effective dark tone come into my footage.


The red level was essential in this editing and by lifting this it takes out the intensity of the green and brings in a warm realistic glow to the footage. 


Once this stage is finished its then completely down to personal preferences and committing as much detail to editing as you like. Personally I wanted to identify a close to perfect green warm tone to not only connote my genre but to match my first sequence in Final Cut. 


 I added another adjustment to the luna level in order to bring a heavier shadow to the clip.


Once this is completed and I was satisfied with my work I then added the 'selected' clip to the render cue and then began a render.

By rendering you get your clip to fit the right format and also you get to re-watch the full clip in the Colour format and its in slow motion to view in a lot more detail. This can be helpful for critically analysing how effective the edit is.


 Then in order to send it back to Final Cut I had to go through the file option and export it through a 'XML' file, this is essential in order for it to be processed in Final Cut.


As you can see this simple Colour process has allowed me to demonstrate my media knowledge and use editing continuity to effect. Not only does it allow me to do this but I also I show my awareness of Media conventions in trailers.

1 comment: