Tuesday 31 January 2012

Contacting Indépendant Filmmaker: Jesse Weathington


I believe that in order for me to produce a successful trailer it would help to seek some advise of other independent filmmakers who have experience in the horror genre, I emailed Jesse Weathington who is a cinematographer from Los Angeles in America and he was kind enough to send me some top tips on how to make an effective production. Jesse Weathington has produced some excellent work creating films such as “the stalker” and “tracks” in LA and the images are the covers for his films.












This is the emails and advice he gave me.
 

Hi,
I’m a fan of your work and I would love a few pointers on how to make an effective production for the Horror genre, would appreciate any tips.
Sincerely,

Greg.

REPLY:

Hi Greg,
Just for starters:
Locate a good DOP who works fast and understands the horror genre. Lighting for horror or suspense is important. The lighting itself becomes the hidden "third character" which enhances your script. It's NOT about how many lights you use, but how one light is placed to do two jobs and create the look. Second, focus on your shot list, along with your shooting schedule. The more prepared you are the smoother the shoot. The DoP should help you with this. A good stunt guy and makeup person is another priority. Your DoP needs action experience to help "sell the shot" on screen. With horror, you don't need a lot of money or big stars to get noticed or to attract a  distribution deal.

JW

The advice I was given will help my production, I can take on board the tips he has given me and apply them to my work and also use them as a referral device when doing my production. I can take away from this the importance of lighting that Jesse Weathington mentions and also its significance in becoming 'a 3rd person'. He also stresses the importance of referring back to shot lists and scripts therefore by doing this I can ensure myself that my planning will enhance my production. 

1 comment:

  1. This is really excellent Greg. There is excellent research into similar products and a potential target audience, time management is excellent, there is excellent skill in the use of digital technology or ICT in the presentation and you demonstrate excellent communication skills.

    ReplyDelete