Friday 27 January 2012

Casting Information and Theory

It is important that when I cast for my characters I take into account narrative theories and show that I am assembling the correct common conventions in order for my audience to gain the best possible understanding of my characters. I want to achieve the broad character types in my production but at the same time I wish to pick people who can be unique and achieve the roles I wish for them to fulfill. Another important aspect I need to take into account is to get the correct representations of youth.

Using casting/character theory helps in researching and appreciates the structure of different roles in media characters.

Goffman’s (1959) character theory can help me sum up my youth characters I plan on casting and it can help me find a -

  • The Protagonist, the leading character of my film, referring to my script ideas I believe Youth 1 would take control as this character, although I plan on making this character possess a way of cruelty when looking at the conflict of villain/hero he would most certainly offer the leading defense of all three youths.
  • The Deuteragonist, the secondary character of my film, Youth 2 would fall under this character type, as he is the only other youth who offers enough narrative for my audience to understand this.
  • The Bit Player, the minor character whose specific background the audience is not aware of, finally in terms of youth characters it would be Youth 3, this minor character is displayed clearly as I plan to have him as a smaller build to the others who takes orders and also is shown attacked at the end of the trailer.
Propp’s (1969) character theory can help me further sum up my character and content of my production-

  • The Villain, this can clearly define my antagonist Rick Strangle, as a character type he needs to have a certain fear factor about them and also be willing to experiment with a range of costume/make up designs.
With all my characters now defined under certain character theory, my casting needs to take into account all these characterizations but at the same time I do need to twist some generic conventions to benefit my audiences needs and create something unique.



No comments:

Post a Comment