Wednesday 14 September 2011

My Thoughts On The Project So Far.

After looking at allot of key stimulus models and background data on my areas of study, I am beginning to establish an idea for what my project will be.  I’m making a film teaser trailer, film poster and film magazine front cover. As a person I am quite a big Horror movie fan, but Horror genre itself falls under many different categories including; splatter, gothic, exploitation, monster, slasher, vampire, werewolf, survival and zombie horror.
But with Horror genre there is nothing worse than seeing something on screen which lacks realistic belief, obviously in some vampire, zombie genre’s its a lot more tricky, but looking into some research regarding tv drama I can apply it to my idea’s of my trailer. The significance of verisimilitude and deigesis is vital; although the reality of the film is diegetic I need to follow the rules of continuity, temporal and spatial coherence in order to give the film some real believability and atmosphere. If the trailer seems to unrealistic and does not follow certain genetic codes and conventions then it will not satisfy the audience’s needs.
I still feel I need to collect more data, but I am planning on configuring a questionnaire through the survey monkey website, this I feel will help determine target audience and further research into what my audience’s need from my film. Going into the research I will have some predictions based on the feedback I will get, if the research I get positively influences the decision to roll with a Horror genre I will have to market my product around the typical representations of Horror fans, the typical representations are people who uphold D and E social grades (typically semi-skilled or unskilled workers and casual or lowest grade workers.) The social value group my represented audience will tend to follow the characteristics of innovators who are self-confident risk takers and disconnected people who try to live in the present now distant from the traditionalists.
My Film trailer will be including narrative structure from theorists like Tsvetan Todorov who clearly labeled how stories work, I will apply his stages of the equilibrium. Apart from the final stage which highlights the ending of a film pretty much.  I will have to be careful when shooting according to the equilibriums because I am doing a teaser trailer, so all stages will have to be subtler. 
Typically I will also have to create emphasis on antagonist showing him/her in a dark moment, whilst not dipping to far into the enigma or cause and effect of the film, or it may defeat the object of a teaser trailer.
I will now start putting in further audience research and after I collect my results I will start drawing up some basic idea’s for the trailer itself and determine exactly what genre I will be following. 

1 comment:

  1. Good - you are starting to think about your target audience and what genre you would like to work in.

    ReplyDelete